Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pre-Trip Report #1 - Colorado to Texas

Welcome to day one of the wonderful road trip!

The day began like any other on Tuesday, May 14, 2013. The majority of the day was spent readying and packing the rest of my room, then going to dinner with a fellow coworker with what little time I did have. I still fully believe that if you want to make time for someone, you will.

At one point during the day, I received a phone call from my Store Manager at Target notifying me that she had cashed out my final check, knowing that I would be leaving the state to move the following day. Since my little sister (one of the twins) wanted to go with me for my very final visit to Target, we went along for a ride. I ended up putting the top down, went by Sonic, let her play her Justin Bieber through my car stereo, and then picked up my check. Given the time frame and the circumstances, it had been nearly 3 weeks since I finally received my check, which would have otherwise meant a call to the board of labor.

Anyways, I spent the next several hours overnight packing the entirety of my room and deciding upon what to keep. I messaged several friends throughout the day asking if they'd like anything. Around 4AM I decided that it was time to attempt at some rest, and finally laid down on the couch as my bed was occupied. Woke up at 6AM, then went right back to work after showering. The rest of the morning was spent hurriedly packing since I was rushed out of the house, along with a trip to the bank. Thankfully I ended up packing the majority of the things I wanted to take, plus even more.

We finally got on the road around 11AM on Wednesday, May 15, 2013 after getting out of town. The first destination we were set for was Raton, NM with a final destination of Childress, TX. Our very first stop was at the Subway in Raton, NM (Clayton Road) which was an old converted gas station. After lunch we went by the nearby Helen's Gift shop to pick up a postcard.

After that, we spent the rest of the day driving through Texas going through Amarillo and a few other small towns. We finally stopped for the night at a Super 8 Hotel which we happened upon in Childress, TX. That night I wrote out the postcard from New Mexico at the hotel, to be shipped from Childress, TX to Aurora, CO.

The entire day consisted of 588 Miles over the course of approximately 11 hours from Aurora, CO to Childress, TX.

No comments:

Post a Comment