Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Day 46 - 48

Thursday, July 4 (Day 46) -- Independence Day 2013

Woke up fairly early on the Fourth of July as I was scheduled to work an 8AM to 2PM shift. Expecting things to be a bit busier than usual, I woke up earlier than usual, and drove in early. After arriving at work around 7:20AM, I attempted to place my items away, but found that all the doors were locked. I went to sit down for a while with the rest of the holiday morning crew who were talking about things ranging from personal to holiday pay. As my shift was about to start, I checked fifteen minutes before, and place all my things away. I clocked in on time, and had fun opening all the doors, along with picking up all the rain mats from the previous night. Had a fellow cast member start going off about how I declined an American pin, which is typical for my area anyways.

Work went by quickly enough, where everything picked up right as I was leaving. I made my way back to my car, and made it home in good time as everyone was arriving to get ready for the big crowds and fireworks. Went straight over to a friend's as I had brought a change of clothes, and although she wasn't feeling to well we went out for food. While waiting for her to get ready, I spoke with her roommates, three of which were getting ready to go to work for the holiday. Sara, who had previously been on the program decided to start debating on how no one gets holiday pay while Sasha stood and watched it all.

As she was finally ready, we left Sara and Sasha to go get food at Steak 'n Shake since she really wanted burgers for the Fourth of July. While waiting there was a drunk guy waiting for food yelling, as they finally got all of our food together. We went back to her apartment with the plans of watching a movie or two and going from there. As we arrived back Sasha went off in front of Rae and her friend saying how she was upset at how rude I was at Sara, and how it's their apartment, and just going downhill from there. I grab my food, and just decide to go home. Since she didn't want to be alone on the holiday, she came over as well while we watched The Secret of the Wings since we both love Periwinkle. I ended up falling asleep midway through the film, as did she. We both woke up after it ended around 7PM as she still insisted on going to see fireworks, as I got ready while making her hamburgers that she insisted on having.

We ended up on the rode just shortly after 7PM, which wasn't ideal with the holiday crowd. After waiting forever at the turn to the TTC, I learn that everyone was just waiting to turn at the TTC as we needed to go to the Contemporary. We try parking in Cast Parking, which I'm followed by a Security vehicle. I tell he's following me when I go an opposite direction and he still follows me. I open the door and speak with him as he's still sitting in his car, and advises "park anywhere but here if you're not working" whereas I park across the way. We go into Bay Lake Tower, and end up sitting at the 15th floor atrium watching fourth of July fireworks as we converse with several other guests. The entire time we're waiting we watch the fireworks on the horizon, as well as the fireworks in the rear which were quite pretty. It was a beautiful sight to finally see the Fourth of July Spectacular as I had missed it previously. Thankfully we had a view of the entire lagoon, and castle fireworks with the exception of the far right castle fireworks.

As the fireworks finish up, we say our goodbyes to those that we met and walk down the 15 flights of stairs as the elevator had taken forever. We make our way out, and head towards the Magic Kingdom as I drop off my bag, taking my camera. On the way into the Magic Kingdom, it was mad as all the PAC folks were directing everyone to their proper buses after the fireworks as she said "I'd really love that, just to yell at people!".  Since the first place she wanted to stop was the dance party between Main Street and Tomorrowland backstage, we went by for a bit as she said hello to everyone that she worked with that walked by. We then walked to Tomorrowland, going to the 626 Dance Party then the Peoplemover as the line died down. We then walked around Fantasyland for a bit as she just wanted to go shopping, and I watched the Electric Light Parade as the Peter Pan float went by. Since most of the road was blocked off due to the crowd, we were directed towards the rear of the castle, being told we couldn't return the same way we came. The next ride decision was Peter Pan's Flight, which was too long, so we went to PhilharMagic, which I was unable to watch due to my glasses being damaged from water. We looked around the gift shop, then went around the castle once more towards the Emporium. Since I wanted to see Rae again, I walked through the Emporium until we found her in the Toy/Plush room stocking. She looked quite tired, telling us both that she'd be at work until 5AM once again, and gave us both big hugs. She also went on about how she finally tried breakfast at the Mouse which was great, and how she still needed to go shopping for gifts for her visit back home. I wished her luck, as she went off putting things away, then we looked around the Emporium. I then decided to part ways and went over to the Firehouse to get more Sorcerer's of the Magic Kingdom cards. We then met as the Second Electric Parade was getting ready to start, and made our way back to the Contemporary. The main reason I wanted to go to the Magic Kingdom was to avoid the outbound traffic, which thankfully worked.

Friday, July 5 (Day 47) -- Red Belts and Pouches

Had an excellent day today working Courtyard from 10AM to 8PM, which mostly consisted of the outdoor cart as I'm always the lucky one of the draw. I opened the cart, but was rotated occasionally most of the day. The major issue they have with most of the cart schedules is that one person is left outside longer moreso than most, which isn't fair, especially in the heat. Saw Jade as I was leaving for the day, and helped her fix her scarf a bit as she was working the Animation Gallery. Finally made use of my pouch as we have belts with our Animation costumes, as well as my Ariel shirt!

Saturday, July 6 (Day 48) -- Multitasking Injury

Scheduled to work 10AM (open) to 7PM at the outdoor area today, which I was the lucky one to draw the cart. I ended up outside the majority of the day, which was absolutely mad. The majority of the day the cart is uncovered, so it's really hard to stay cool. It was a long day, but I opened the cart very excited and just made the most of the day. Throughout the day I received one 30-minute lunch, and one 15-minute break from the heat as it was a 9 hour shift, which I don't find completely adequate given the conditions of Florida.

Spent the day helping the drink assist during their shift change, which wasn't too bad given it was still before noon. The rest of my day was spent helping Chrisoula out as she requested help. The rest of the day was interesting as the cordless phone we had continually went "out" which meant I was unable to request more change. I later learned that Melissa from our outdoor covered area kept attempting to call me to switch, but it continually rang busy, which would explain the phone concern.

The rest of my evening after 4PM was hectic, as I had to specifically request my last break from a manger. I forced my drink assist to finally take her break as she had yet to receive one, although we called on it nearly 45 minutes earlier but was disregarded.

As she went to her 30-minute break, I multi-tasked filling drinks, assisting guests, and ringing. Jade, who I work with and is absolutely a darling came to visit me for quite a bit before catching the 5:15PM showing of Beauty and the Beast. While I was helping everyone, we talked as she made her way just to see me. Since I do speak Spanish, I had the two most interesting men from Spain walk up and begin speaking Spanish. They rapidly progress from there, speeding up which we all got a kick out of. I directed them to where they were asking, and then went about my day.   At one point, it started raining warm rain while everyone started running. It was clear and sunny which was weird, as I apologized to Jade who had stuck with me. (I had previously mentioned this to the two managers, who pushed it off as "light showers" and that "guest satisfaction comes before your safety from everything".)

Jade mentioned that I looked even hotter than her due to the humidity, as a guest was being rung up who also mentioned I looked overly warm with everything dripping off of me, even to the point he offered me a water.  While multi-tasking, the drawer got stuck once again and I hurt my wrist as I was hurrying to assist a guest. When it slowed down a bit, I filled ice as well. My drink assist arrived an hour later just as I sold my last water. She learned that no one had come to help, as she sent me inside to get some water. As I came back outside with a coordinator to finally drop off the change I had requested, I saw two people finally showed up, right as I was returning from getting water.

The next wonderfulness was the gal taking my cart position didn't arrive, as we later learned that she had a required work class. I was asked to extend, and stayed until 8:30PM as I had already been there all day, which they decide will be the closing time for the cart. I was then sent on another break due to the number of hours I was working, as the drink assist covered once more by herself while Manuel covered my last break once again. I went on break, and relaxed for a bit. I relieved Manuel since I felt bad for him being outside in a suit and tie, and sent him back inside. Zach then came over and forced me out saying "Bayeee" as he wanted to switch while the sun was no longer out. I worked the covered area playing with a light toy for the rest of the evening until 8:30PM by myself until Claudia returned from her break after having her class, which David freaked out about. After clocking out, I took the time to talk to one of the Managers that were still available about the opportunities and challenges from today.

Life's what you make it!

No comments:

Post a Comment